Monday, May 20, 2013

Table is compete!

I have decided my new hobby is redoing furniture.  So I'm going to start with a post on the newest thing I completed.

We start with this lovely little table...
Isn't it lovely?  But hey, it's solid wood, and was cheap.  Couldn't ask for much more.  One of the legs was a little wonky but hubby helped me fix that.

So sanded everything down.  This is where a power sander came in handy.  But I did have to use a sanding block on the legs and some of the other angles to make sure I got it all.

 
Then I took the top off and gave everything a nice coat of primer.  I did use Zinnser Cover stain.  And yes that is an oil base.  But everything I had read said it would be the best to use.  And I really did want to cover everthing up and give it a nice finish.  You do need to sand before you start painting with your next coat though

 
This picture is of course the table top upside down.  I wasn't too careful about painting here because I knew I was going to stain the top and keep it nice and dark.  Therefore i just sanded the edges once it was painted.  My color coat of paint was Valspar Paint and Primer in one, in a matte finish in the color Peaceful.
 
 
Isn't it pretty?? I love it.  A great combination of blue with a gray undertone.

 
Here's the base painted.  I ended up with 4 coats.  In this order
Primer-Sand-Paint- Sand- Paint - Sand with 220- Paint - Sand with 380 - Paint- Sand with 380 then 600
 
Lots of sanding...
 
Then I started on the top.  I knew I wanted it to be gray too.  But sadly, the color I wanted couldn't be tinted in the smallest size.  And I didn't really want a quart of stain I may or may not use again.  So I changed to the color Ebony and hoped that maybe not putting as many coats on would not make it seem so black and more of a wash.
 
 
 
I tried to take some closer up pictures but the flash, since it's dark outside and all I could do was these in the garage.  But you can see how some of the wood is coming though, but it's mostly black.  I really like it.  Three coats of spray on Poly and it's glossy and sealed!
 

And here's a nice picture of it all finished!!  Again, not the best pic but I was too excited for it to be done.  I will take some outside pictures tomorrow so that you can see it in a more natural light.
 
If anyone is interested, this table is for sale.
 
So now that I have some better pictures. Here is a before and after shot

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment