Saturday, June 1, 2013

Easy Peasy Dresser re-do, or, "it's new to me!"

Just a side note, you may notice I like to give things two titles.  It's kinda a nod to one of my favorite TV shows when I was younger.  Still like it too. Rocky and Bullwinkle!  I especially liked the Fractured Fairy Tales.

 
But I digress
 
This is a quickie project I did last month or so.  Did it in one afternoon so it's something anyone can do it.

Let's start with a before picture.  My lovely little MDF, buy in a box, put together yourself with a screwdriver and a hex key, had since college dresser.  Ignore the oddities in the knobs because I had removed some of them for a little dresser we had in the closet for hubby that I was selling online.  Nothing fancy here.
 
 
Lovely huh?  I also took this time of taking apart to tighten some screws, and apply some wood glue to anything else that was loose.

 
While I was taking pictures, and taking stuff apart, I left hubby to drill holes for the new handles.  And since I was covering the fronts I didn't even have to worry about filling the old holes!

 
This was the trickiest part.  However if you were to use a less strictly patterned paper if would be easier. I was using a roll of paper I had left over from another project (that blog yet to come) and I wanted this to be a cheap-o project.  I used my cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter to cut the paper to exact size.  On my drawers they did have a rounded edge so my measurements were just for the flat part of the drawer.  I first cut the correct length of paper.  From there I started at the bottom and cut the correct height. 
 
MAKE SURE YOU LABEL THE STRIPS.  I designated them right and left of the drawers, and then bottom middle top.  So on the backs of the paper I wrote BL, ML, TL,  to designate Bottom Left, Middle Left, etc.

 
And break out the Mod Podge!!  Now you can see why I had to label them.  That way my pattern lined up correctly.  I put the Mod Podge on the drawer front, then applied the paper.  Starting from the center, I used an old gift card to squeeze out and air bubbles and extra Mod Podge.  I think applied one coat of Mod Podge on the top and around the edges to seal everything in.  I happened to have a Matte finish on hand but that worked out anyways and I didn't really want a shiny finish.  The while part of the paper was shiny already and I didn't want it to loose it's pizazz.  I then used a skewer to poke out the holes when the handles would then go.

 
These handles I got at Hobby Lobby.  Man I love that place.  And it seems like they are always 50% off on their handles.  So getting 6 of these were only $15.  And that's all I had to buy for this project.  They have a kind of white, marble like center, and then a silver/nickel finish. 
 
And now for the BIG reveal.  Ta Da!


 
 

 
It's nothing crazy, but it makes me happy and has a more classy, adult feel to it instead of the college furniture look.
 
A few tips:
 
1) make sure you label the paper you are using if it has a pattern like mine where you want it to line up.
 
2) This was pre-pasted wallpaper but I used the Mod Podge to adhere it because I didn't want to deal with all the extra glue.  But you could do it that way too.
 
3) If you are changing the location of your hardware, I would suggest using a drill bit size larger than what the screws are.  That way you have a little bit of wiggle room if the holes aren't quite straight.
 
 
So what do you think?  Leave me a comment, let me know!  Think you'd try this for yourself?
Thanks for stopping by! ~A
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment